We raise awareness and advocate
By talking to the public
So What!? – Pan Ka Lay’s first communication campaign.
- Pan Ka Lay launched the So What !? campaign for International Women’s Day on 8th March 2019, through a Facebook page and a press conference attended by celebrities and key opinion leaders, foreign governments and development sector representatives.
- So What !? aims at changing the taboo and stigma surrounding menstruation amongst Myanmar’s urban and peri-urban youth, by providing essential menstrual health education and sharing positive values around menstruation.
- For the first time, Pan Ka Lay mobilized major Myanmar celebrities and health experts discussing the health and social aspects of menstruation in a series of videos.
- Through bi-weekly educational and inspirational posts, constant dialogue and a Messenger hotline, So What!? supports a growing community of women, and men who support them, to help empower them and be healthier, more connected and better able to realise their potential.
In October 2018, our founder Henriette Ceyrac gave a talk at the TEDx Yangon event. She explained how the taboo and stigma around menstruation harm girls and women and encouraged the audience to challenge them.
By engaging with partners:
- Pan Ka Lay co-chairs the UN-led Menstrual health Management technical working group and contributes to the Water Sanitation & Hygiene and Gender-Based Violence (GBV) ones. These groups are attended by key humanitarian and development organisations operating in the country.
- Pan Ka Lay partnered with UN agency UNFPA to conduct a mapping survey of all initiatives around menstrual health in the country and document learnings. The report will be published soon.